Sunday, August 30, 2009



Raul, Emeteria, William and Brella















Here is Brella holding up the "book" that they are just dying to see each morning. They scream "Bobeeeeee"!!!




























William (like Bobby)

Shakira (like Aubbie)

Brella (like Ashee)







Brella and neighbor, Gionvani with G's pet.















View from back of my hut to hut above















Brella standing at the doorway to our home















Shakira posing with crayon












Brella (always smiling!)













The neighbors with Brella and William








This is an experience! Right now I'm writin from my bed??? that has a mosqito net surrounding me. I live in a thatched roof hut with mud floors. There's a latrine out back and an open shower (like M*A*S*H) but no running water, just a bucket. Everyone goes to bed shortly after 6 (as there is no current!) so I'm writing this by headlamp.
Today after language class, I bathed in the river with my Maya sister, Brella who scrubbed my back. I'll be here in Armenia for the next 5 weeks with my host family. Oh, did I mention that the parents, Raul (23) and Emetria (21) sleep on the other side of this only interior wall with their 3 children, Brella (5), William (3) and Shakira (2)? Their room can't be any larger than 6' x 8'. They are a lovely family that is taking their job as a Peace Corps host family quite seriously--three hot meals per day that always includes tortillas and rice and beans--so much for losing weight!! Raul speaks K'ekchi and Emetria speaks Maya (mopan) so the children speak Maya. My host mom and dad speak English very well. I learned two phrases in K'ekchi today--Ma sa aach ool? how are you? and Anih ak aba? what's your name? It's a very gutteral languange with some clucking. Quite interesting!
We're in the rain forest so the walk to class is in this thick, sticky, heavy mud. Needless to say, I had to purchase boots!
We have three chickens in the yard that know to stay there. Raul said when they first get purchased they stay in the backyard in a chicken coup for a couple days and then let them out and they just KNOW to stay in the yard!
I asked Raul how many brothers and sisters he has and he said, "I think 8 sisters and 7 brothers...I'm not sure."
You hear the rain all night (no windows or doors). The roosters start crowing around 4am and you hear dogs barking the rest of the night. I won't go into the dog situation right now. That's a whole story to itself. I roll over and go back to sleep until 5:30.
Hope this paints a picture...Enjoy your AC and lights at night! Better turn it in--it's WAY past my bedtime--almost 9pm! The family has been asleep since 6:30!
God bless Raul, Emetria, Brella, William, Shakira and us ALL!!! Tracy
postscript: It's Sunday, Aug 30 so I borrowed Raul's bicycle so I could ride about 30 miles (thanks Katrin!) into Belmopan so I could call my darling Ashley to wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Her email address is ash1140@aol.com if you would send her a note to help me celebrate her big day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETHEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







13 comments:

  1. First off..i am so proud of you with posting your pictures Tracy!!! Look at you!!! The host family is so beautiful. Reading this made me cry..i am so happy that YOU are happy. Just hearing about your new family gives me such peace that you are ok. I wish i could of talked to you today when you called bobby :( I was working...i know it meant so much to him to hear your voice. You took Raul's bicycle 30 miles to wish Ashley a happy birthday? That is so special! You are the best mommy ever! I love you so much and Bobby says "HI MOM" i love you!!! Thoese children are so beautiful give them a big kiss for us~ Please keep the pictures coming..i want one of you in your hut!!!!! lol :) You are in my prayers everyday and night. WE LOVE YOU!
    xoxo
    LOVE, Nik, Bobby, Diesel and Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Tracy!

    What a great entry. Really makes me feel so proud of you and furthers my deep admiration of you. I will drop Ash a line to say happy birthday. I am sure she is in full swing of things with a new job. I thought you might appreciate an update on 231. We are all moved in! It was quite a process and a lot of work, as you well know. It feels so happy just being in there. Ron and I love it! We may have new neighbors at 233 very soon. Thank you for being the greatest landlord ever. Wow! Those children. How precious and your pictures are incredible. They look like shots right out of National Geographic. So thrilled for you and your adventure. Miss you MUCHO! Lots of hugs and loves and prayers from Ron and me at casa 231! Keep the updates coming! Love you, Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm beyond impressed with your quickly acquired computer skills!! Is there anything you can't do? Of course not, but we already knew that!
    The language seems interesting, I think Bobby would fit right in with his Spanlish!
    Although the accommodations are basic it looks as comfy as our bike ride camp site. Is Lightsys around the corner??
    Most importantly, is there anything that I can send you or your host family at this point that would alleviate the day to day? You know money is no issue and it's the best way I know to help out other than continuing to tell you what an inspiration you are to everyone.
    With happy tears in my eyes 'Farewell' til next time

    PS. do they put obscene messages and drawings on the outhouse like they do on my jobsite portolets??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy- Miss you so much. Love the pictures of your host family I am sure you are showering them with the love and care you gave us when you were here. Dino was at poker last night with his phone waiting to hopefully catch a call from you. He is being very brave you would be proud. Bed at 6pm you were always the busiest person I knew from 6pm to 2am cleaning, baking a cake,watching Bobby play poker etc.
    We are updating everyone at poker and they all send their best wishes and love. Take care keep the updates coming love ya Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. love u mom!!! Those pics are awesome!!! The family looks so nice and happy. I love you, ur the best, cant wait to hear from you again. Keep the pics comin if u can! Love you
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat to be able share a little piece of your Belize adventure through this blogspot with pics and your own descriptive words. It soon will be labor day weekend here in the states. Just wanted to give you a heads-up (no more white attire). In viewing the pics, I'm wondering if your wardrobe choices have changed and if we should send you "less" clothing. Perhaps the Peace Corps suggestions were a bit too conservative. I found my VCR tape of Survivors Guatamala, and I must ask about the chickens you mentioned--will they become dinner? That's what happened on the show.
    Now--"Around the Horn"--The Dolphins went 4-0 in preseason; the US Open is underway; And Ginger has joined Heritage Oaks (A-3) and will be taking your spot this year on our USTA Senior team. I'll make sure there's room for both of you when you return, although we may need to rename it the USTA Senile Team in 2011.
    Seriously, I'm thinking of you every day and know you'll make a difference to each person you meet as you journey through this new chapter in your life. Love to you and all your new best friends....

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love you sue thanks for reading and keeping me updated..gotta to go tho. It IS dark. me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks betty soo good to hear from you. Keep an eye on Dino...I talked to him yesterday and he sounded terrible. He worries me love you tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. being your friend has given me much preparation for the peace corps!!! So great to hear from you...gotta go now but send me a gmail sometime at tracyhodson@gmail.com love you lots me

    ReplyDelete
  10. cristina, you're a doll. Glad you're happy at 231. Last night I laid awake thinking of all the things I didn't get done at the house. You know we tried hard tho. sorry. Did you ever hear from Vina to get the sunpass, garage door opener, and an important envelope in the glove box? Gmail me sometime. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Tracy,
    we just read all of your blog and the pictures were cool. we miss u so much and think about u every day. we wish u the best of luck in all your hope to do. we will definately send u some veggy seeds. Dont forget about veggy bug spray, we hear they r very thick, were u are at. we love u so much and bless u and your new family. LOVE NANCY AND NICOLE AKA DOODLE KILFEATHER!!! XOXOXOXOOXOOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Tracy,
    Rob and I just started reading your amazing logs. Your descriptions along with the pictures put us in a world that is so foreign and makes us appreciate the rich, comfortable lives we live even more. We are so proud of you! Love you! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Tracy,

    I've been reading your log with great interest. What an adventure! I will try to do a bit of research and see what vegetables will grow best there. Could be there is a reason they have not eaten broccoli before. Perhaps we can teach them to plant corn. In fact, I think we should call it... maize.
    The summer season is verrrrrry slowly beginning to wind down, and it is becoming bearable to sit outside in the evening. Of course, what do you know about hot, sweaty weather??????
    Keep the logs coming, Tracy. You are a great writer and you might have a book at the end of this.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete