Saturday, August 22, 2009

Today was culture day. We took a bus ride to San Ignacio and Benque and had dancers and a flutist perform for us at a local high school. Later, we traveled to the ruins at Xunantunich and hiked a mile up a road that led to the ruins and then climbed to the top. I'll enclose some pix at a later date when I have the help of a knowledgeable friend with me. Tomorrow is an off day (Sunday) and some of us are going to the river to wash our clothes in the river. I'm not sure I'll be losing weight as every meal is delicious and full of carbs! Every lunch and dinner has beans and rice or rice and beans. The people here are very kind. What impresses me the most is how there are so many different people speaking various languages and they all seem to respect each other. I've heard lots of Kriol, Spanish, English, and (get this) Chin-Italian. (All the business owners in Belmopan are Chinese descent. Speaking of Belmopan--Terri Stephens was partly right about Belize City being the capital. Apparently there was a big hurricane here back in the 80's and the capital was moved from Belize City to Belmopan. The government hoped this would bring business and industry to this inland town but it never materialized. The Peace Corps Belize office is here in Belmopan but it is a tiny town that never expanded other than a few government offices. There are about 4 roads, maybe 50 houses, a market place and a bus terminal.

We leave Belmopan Thursday and go to our prospective training center. My group (healthy communities) will be going to a town called Armenia. After five weeks we will all be sent to individual villages in the south(Toledo district) and will be quite remote so these blogs I'm afraid (mostly for me!!) will be fewer and further between. And Betty, half of the healthy communities volunteers are women and we will be going to these villages alone. I can only hope and pray that the people will be as kind as they are here and I'm sure they will be. Kekchi will be my new language.

Leaving to go have my eighth burrito for dinner (not alot of variety)

God bless us all. Tracy

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry mom but that last paragraph scares me. Don't trust everyone please. Stay safe. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be safe, buddy system!!!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. While washing clothes at the river, be sure you don't fall in. I wouldn't want you "rolling down the river" without your Tina Turner friends!
    Sports Update: The Dolphins won their 2nd preseason game last night.
    Do the Chinese cook burritos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy!!!! I wanted to give you a update on Bobby @ Foxwoods! (keep in mind, i dont know the poker terms lol..so i am trying my best to explain this to you w/out bobby next to me) So it is 11:00am here on Sunday. He played the last event that started yesterday (Saturday). I felt REALLY good about this one for some reason, and so did he! He hasn't cashed in anything up until this one, so this being the last one..just felt good!!!! SOOO he made it all day Saturday DAY 1 (played really well, he says it was a rollercoaster) They finished way over midnight last night. So there is 100 left 650 started, 70 get paid!!! Day 2 starts today @ 12 (one hour). I wanted to give you this update b/c i know you be so proud of him! And i know you are right there with him, whispering hands in his ear!!! hahahahaha I will keep you updated as the day goes on...He told me that if he makes it through the first hour today he will be in the money!! OK- well i love you and miss you so much! Get some sleep and drink lots of H20!!! XOXOOOOOOO
    LOVE,
    Nik, Bobby, Diesel and Daphne <3 <3
    OH: ps where is your new friend from? She is 22?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes she's 22 and so are the two girls sitting on either side of me at this internet cafe!!!

    Please let me know how Bobby did. If he gets to the money maybe you could plan a trip to Belize and visit mom???? I am very proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey tracy <3

    Bob just got home tonight! He got in the money but went out 34th..of 650. 70 got paid, he had 500k chips and lost huge flips. He said if he won one of those he would have been at the final table. He got 1500 for 34th. We love you and are so proud of you! We miss you dearly <3
    X0XO
    Bobby and Nikki

    ReplyDelete