Wednesday, August 26, 2009

off to armenia

Tomorrow, eleven of us leave for Armenia which is not too far from Belmopan. I will be staying with a host family for 5 weeks. This is when we really begin our cultural integration and hopefully get a grasp on my new language--k'ekchi. Technical training begins also so we will be spending time educating and building (most likely latrines) Our host families have been told not to speak any English as this will facilitate quicker learning and integration.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now but just have to trust that all is in perfect order. I worry that I'm too old and that my hearing is impaired enough to make learning the language even tougher. I miss all of you so much. So far, I haven't been one of the ones to get any dysentery. We have been warned about botflies and scorpions...so far the only dangerous creature I've seen is a tarantula. (As long as they stay out of my bed, I'm ok!!)

I've been told that the next five weeks we will be using an outside latrine for obvious purposes. It's likely that I'll be sleeping in a hammock (that's ok) and eating all kinds of new dishes...iguana, turtle, gibnut. (Nothing that Dino hasn't eaten!!!) This is really an adventure.

From what I can tell, these first six months are all about adaptation and integration into the communities or villages. Once we have established trust, it is then that we may make a difference that might last. I'm excited about the possibilities.

Internet service and satelitte connections will be spotty so this is probably the last blog for awhile.

Thought for the day...don't take running water and electricity and a nice comfortable bed for granted!!!

God bless us all....tracy

3 comments:

  1. I heard this tune on the radio today and thought of you.....
    In the words of Rod Stewart:
    May the good Lord be with you down every road you roam.
    And may sunshine and happiness surround you when you're far from home.
    And may you grow to be proud, dignified and true.
    And do unto others as you'd have done to you.
    Be courageous and be brave
    And in my heart you'll always stay
    Forever Young
    FOREVER YOUNG

    Love and prayers from Sue & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you MOM! You are the best person in the world! Those Belizeans are so blessed to have you! Make a change! Meet some great people. I love you. Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are forever young and that is why you can make a difference anytime and any place you go!I know you will be able to help people in ways normal souls like us back home never dream of!
    You have a gift, and the most wonderful thing is that you are willing to share your gift where it is most needed.
    With lots of love and good thoughts to you,(whenever you get to read this)
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete