Monday, October 26, 2009

New address, thank you's, updates, and Marcelino's scholarship fund!

Thank you for all the packages, cards, and emails rec'd around my birthday--I sure am a lucky person! Some of you wanted to know if YOURS arrived so to break it down: 4 from Joann, and others from Iris, Sue Beale, Janet, Susan Dent, Jean, Cynthia, Aubrey, and my brother, Skip. All loaded with goodies for my new Belizean friends and me! Two super cards from the gals at Dr. Nicholson's office (still can't bring myself to think of it as Dr. Lein's) and the greatest (well, at least the one with the biggest hearts!) Garden's tennis team rounded out my wonderful day. Thank you, thank you.

Several of you have asked how to contribute to Marcelino's scholarship fund. I have an account back home with Bank of America that is currently inactive (obviously!) So if the spirit moves you, go to any B of A and deposit your contribution into acc't #001443299545 (Tracy Hodson). Then drop an email to my wonderful daughter (and tax attorney!) Ashley @ Ash1140@aol.com and let her know your name and the amount. She will let me know where we are at toward our goal. If there is any leftover, I know you will trust me to find another needy candidate (there are so many) I feel all I ever do is thank you--for moral support mostly. My faith in our world has increased ten-fold! Thanks

I heard one of the volunteers comparing the bond we have formed surviving training to that of our young men and women enduring boot camp. It was intense, probably more for me than most, because of my 'special needs' status! (Eyes, ears, pee brain) But now the service begins and I'm excited at the possibilities. Today I came into town (Punta Gorda) and spoke with the Public Works minister and was able to move up plans for the speed bump from April to this December. I know that doesn't sound like much but it was #1 on the village council chairman's agenda. Brick by brick... San Miguel will be happy when we get that bump so school children will be much safer! Most of this month will be trying to get the 'house' that I will be living in, ready. First and foremost is that I need to build a latrine! Just getting the lumber to San Miguel will be a feat! Speaking of latrines (and yes, I still get excited when I see a toilet), I have come to see some advantages over toilets...your hand NEVER gets wet while wiping and you never notice an odor after you're done bc it always smells the same! Gotta look at the bright side!?!

Now the 40 of us are scattered about the country. Those that are in the business/organization, education, or youth development sectors are scattered primarily in the urban areas (with some exceptions). Our 'healthy communities' sector are pretty much planted in the rainforest very rural portion of Belize in individual villages. You may recall that I wasn't too pleased with my village assignment. Well, I like it very much now and I think I have my host family to thank! I move out from them into my 'own' place on Nov. 23 (Happy BD J and J!) One more housing adjustment and then maybe I'll be settled...???

My new address is: Tracy Hodson PCV, General Delivery, Punta Gorda, Belize. In the bottom left corner write: San Miguel. If any of you have mailed something to Belmopan, they will forward it or someone from the Peace Corps Office will bring it down once a month. If sent here to Punta Gorda, I just have to come into town periodically to check or sometimes when they see someone from our village that they recognize from San Miguel they will ask him to bring it back to the village. (A LITTLE different than back home, huh?)

Thanks again for all the support. I love you all so much!

God bless us all...tracy

8 comments:

  1. Also, my new phone number is 011-501-624-0576. Don't call unless you have money to 'burn'--so expensive! Love you, tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tracy, Sounds like you are happy and really making a difference there. I love reading your blogs. I have a package ready to mail to Aubrey tomorrow and I made a deposit to your account for $50.00 to help with Marcelino's education today, Ocotber 30. I will email Ashley when I finish here. I am happy to help and it makes me feel like I am a very small part of the peace corp. God Bless you and all the people there. Love, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, You and others ARE a HUGE part of Peace Corps! You can share my experience with me except you get a toilet to sit on!!! I love you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking in. Hope all is well. How is the new casa coming? I'm going to attempt to do your christmas shopping this weekend, so I can get the glasses up to Aubrey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying that you are staying safe and covered during the hurricane. We love and miss you so much!
    Love always,
    Bobby and Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobby is concerned about you (so are we)due to Hurricane Ida. Please let us know your status.
    Today is Carlene's birthday, and we miss our party girl.
    Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heard from Carlene today that you're fine--the storm was no big deal. I let Bobby know.
    Watched "Sound of Music" before sending it off to Aubrey. Cried again.
    Saw this in a book today (small book at the car wash) and thought of you....
    Make a song, make a move, make a friend, make a difference.
    Miss you lots--Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. tracy, you really are a saint. how did the bike go over? i'd immagine she's gonna have to share with every one!! lol. how about giving me something to get for the christmas list?
    have fun and remember,
    dino

    ReplyDelete