Thursday, October 15, 2009

Back to Belmopan for Swearing-In!

Other than athlete's foot, a minor cold, diaarhea (I guess it's just how I'm going to 'go') and a snake in my room this morning, life is good in San Miguel. We're in the mountains in the rainforest so it's picturesque and muddy! I was getting tired of the rats keeping me awake in Armenia.

My host family is amazing. You would never sense that I live with six children. Everyone quietly goes about their chores and homework without a word from mom and dad. They wash the clothes and the dishes in the river (about a 200yd. walk), wash the pigs, catch and then clean the chicken for dinner, split the firewood for the firehut, hull the corn, and sweep the house (to name a few). They are always caring of the younger siblings and I've yet to hear a cross word in 12 days! The Maya culture is rich in tradition (AND superstition!) More on that at a later blog...

Saturday, we awoke at 4:30am to eat breakfast and then walk for an hour on a hilly gravel road up to their farm. After going through the 'bush', we came to a clearing with their corn field. We all took a section and pulled corn off the stalk and then threw it to a clearing 10-30 yds. away. Sure could have used Jeff's arm for this task. By mid-day we had finished and bagged all the corn. Fortunately, Sebastion has an uncle with a truck and he came to pick up the corn. We all walked wearily home (now it took us at least an hour and a half!!) I ached all over that night!

It's only been 12 days but I foresee some interesting projects where I might be able to help. Some of what I will be doing is formally requesting grant money for these projects through various organizations. (Wish I had Sue Brown's or Carol Pahl's writing skills!!)

I officially become a Peace Corps Volunteer on Oct 22 when we will be sworn in at the Embassy. For me, it's a relief as training has been arduous. Aubrey has received special permission from the Country Director to visit over Christmas (We're not supposed to have visitors until after the 22nd of January).

I have received 5 packages from Sue Brown, Kim C., Betty, Bobby, and Katrin. I can't thank you enough for your generosity. The people here are rich in spirit but poor in possessions. Seventy nine percent of the Toledo District falls below the UNDP (United Nations) poverty guidelines. There are tremendous opportunities to help--I believe I'm in the right place at the right time. Just miss all of YOU!

I'll be in the Peace Corps office on Monday and I'm sure from what I've heard that there will be more goodies from you! Thanking you in advance...

God bless us all...tracy

3 comments:

  1. Happy to hear your training period is coming to a close and you can soon get on with what you do best--helping and giving to others unselfishly 100%. That part is definately not new to you. You know we will all be there in spirit as you are sworn-in officially. Congrats!
    Also, a Big Happy Birthday Wish across the miles. Hopefully, you will receive the two padded envelopes that I have sent when you return to Headquarters. Apparently, boxes arrive much sooner than padded envelopes.
    Looking forward to your next blog or email....
    Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to our goodwill ambassador in Belize! I hope your village gives you a proper 'tribal' celebration (maybe a dance around the fire or sacrifice of a pig, do they do that stuff?)
    I've been away for a while without access to a computer and now swamped at work, so I will send a personal lengthy email later this week.
    ....oh I adopted a rescue shelter dog, he's the cutest boy I've ever had in my life!!
    Have a great day and stay the course. You're doing great!!!!!
    Miss you lots,
    Katrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sue! Everything came and thanks so much. You are the birthday gift! Love you lots!

    Katrin, the swearing in will be enough of a bd present. So glad to know you're still 'with' me.

    Love you two mucho, mucho!

    ReplyDelete