Saturday, October 3, 2009

Got our site assignments!

Well, I'll be in a town called San Miguel. It's north and west of Punta Gorda about a 45 minute bus ride away. It's a poor village (I'm told) that needs lots of help. Unfortunately, the last two volunteers left early. I'm pretty sure it was the least desirable site of our group but I'm certain that site was chosen for me as I'd be the one to complain the least. I had said from the beginning that I'd go where I was needed most--well, this will be a great opportunity!

When I got to the Peace Corps office yesterday there were 4 boxes! I can't express my gratitude for the seeds and other goodies that Betty, Kim, Katrin, and Bobby sent!! BUT, I looked at the postage that you all spent and was shocked! I think the most expensive one was $50.50 ! UGH!! So no more boxes...that's absurd! I'm so sorry. I am headed to Armenia to deliver the seeds and goodies in about 2 hours and I know that they will be overwhelmed!! Thank you so very much.

Everyone packed up all their belongings and left Armenia yesterday and said their goodbyes. I told my family that I would be back today as I anticipated your deliveries. I could not bear to say goodbye just yet. I will miss them all but especially Brella and my host mom, Emetria.

Speaking of Emetria...she has a twin brother and has two other brothers and three sisters. The youngest brother is Marcelino who is 14 and is in Standard 6 (similar to our seventh or eighth grade.) No one in her family has ever been allowed to go past grade 6 because even though it's public education, it costs $300 BZ or $150 US just to register. I sat down with Marcelino the night before last and asked him if he would like to continue on to high school? He said "of course, but my family can't afford it." I told him that his grades need to come up (currently in the 80% range) and that I would check back with him after his December report card. I told him I would love to see him continue.

Peace Corps is not a donor driven organization but rather a cooperative of self-help and training so a village can remain improved and continue to thrive after someone leaves. Marcelino is an exception. If anyone wishes to help with his education so he can be the only one in his family to get a high school education, please help me help him. This is a charity where you know 100% of your donation goes directly to the source. Many of you have asked how you can help; I think this way could be great and there's only the $.98 stamp. Gmail me for more info directly at tracyhodson@gmail.com

We leave for our sites tomorrow. I wish I was more excited about my site. I'm just struggling inside and have to accept that all is in perfect order...

Thanks again for all the packages. You ALL are so special and can't thank you enough! Happy Belated Birthdays to Grandma Joy and Cristina!

God bless us all...tracy

10 comments:

  1. I'm just catching up on all your posts - I've been away. You bring tears to my eyes. You are one of God's special angels. I will be delighted to contribute to Marcelino's education. What is the best way to get the money to you and in what form? You are in my prayers.
    Love and you are really missed. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Miguel it is then. They will be the lucky ones to have you. Will there be another volunteer with you? Is this the bus ride with the goats that you were told about? Sounds like the boxes arrived before the padded packages. Sure hope they're not lost.
    Keep in touch as much as possible. We all love hearing from you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up San Miguel on Google Earth and found where you will be. The sat image is 2009 so I'm guessing pretty recent. Unfortunately, the resolution is not nearly as good as you'd find for populated areas so I can't actually see the houses there. There is a big river nearby that looks interesting. Hopefully, you will have internet access. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the area.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy!! Just remember the story told by one of the PCV's in the remote jungle of Africa. When asked how he stayed in such a remote and difficult place he explained that everyday he would watch the bus, that could take him back to civilization and home, come and go. The secret he said was that each day he did not get on the bus. Take it one day at a time, my friend. And if you have to come home, just get on the bus!! Take care and God bless. Your PC friend, Karla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for remembering me on my birthday! Ron and I both miss you so incredibly much. But how lucky are we that we have this to keep us connected..and of course, our hearts! You sound well. Thanks again for thinking of me and for the shout out. ;) Love you, Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in awe of you Tracy! We miss you and the dogs...Murray Ct just isn't the same. I keep looking for Dino's boat, knowing if he was around I could get a sample of fresh fish! I love reading your blog and can't even imagine how different life is. Memories of a lifetime for sure! Amazing!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. San Miguel is now the luckiest little village/town in the world. You are going to do great mom, and change the lives of so many. We miss and love you very much.

    To give you some U.S. updates, the Dolphins just won their 1st game of the season, now 1-3, beating the Bills badly but have the hardest schedule in the nfl.

    MLB playoffs just started, the Twins and Tigers played a 1 game playoff the other nite and it was probably the best game I have ever seen. Your boy Miguel got into some serious trouble at the end of the season, b4 that game getting a domestic charge after going out to drink with opposing players then beating up his wife. He got to play though, and hit a 2 run hr in the game, which the Twins did end up winning in 12. So, playoffs are as follows:

    Nlds rockies vs phillies
    cards vs dodgers

    Alds twins vs yanks
    red sox vs angels

    i dont want to be negative with news, so I wont talk about our economy, President, etc. But, that hasn't gotten any better...I love you, youre the best. Miss you a ton.
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. the Dolphins are playing in Miami vs the Jets this Monday on MNF! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. also, the seminoles r terrible and bobby is done soon. 2-3 and ur boy tim tebow suffered a severe concussion last sat, hitting his head on his own players knee after a huge hit. they r obv undefeated, but they play lsu this sat and he is a gametime decision. we still have that $20 bet on him being successful in the nfl as a qb...pokers is good, going to Indiana at end of month for wsop circuit event and a few other live ones coming up. love you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sally, Karla, Kerry, Rob, Cristina, Bobby, and Sue! So nice to hear from you all. Sally, I'll send you an email to give you some info. Bless your heart. Karla, my friend, I'll write you directly too, Rob, the river is the Rio Grande and that's where I bathe every day so I hope you never get a close-up on your map!!! Cristina is an angel always. Kerry, welcome to the blog and I miss Murray Ct. Please give a shout out to Frannie, too! Bobby, you are my heart and soul. Please be happy and healthy and thanks for caring about your mom so much.

    ReplyDelete