Monday, September 28, 2009

Updates and our trip to Toledo!


Hi everyone!

First, let me say I'm overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and kindness hearing from you that various items are on the way! Thank you so much.

I wasn't able to 'caption' the pictures on the last blog so just to let you know...1. everyone participating in Raul's garden which is anxiously waiting for your seeds! (The other family there is the one I mentioned in an earlier blog...the lady in the orange dress is the widow) 2. Brella decked out in my reading glasses from Sue Beale and my $.50 consignment hat from Aubs! 3. A jaguar 'kitty' that I had to enclose for Pete Carantza! and 4. my pet 'tarantula' (not hardly) and no, Sue Beale, we didn't need a machete to kill it but there just aren't tons of options...fly swatter wouldn't do!!!

I am in a town called Punta Gorda which is the southernmost town in Belize right on the Caribbean Sea. It is quite quaint here but we are mostly enjoying air conditioning, toilets, and the first WARM shower I've had since leaving Florida! The ten of us have been visiting our future sites...it became clear to me today that the log cabin I've always dreamed of building in North Carolina is really supposed to be my future 'home' here in Belize. It's incredibly beautiful here in the rain forest. We traveled miles on dirt roads in the two Toyota Land Cruisers. (We'd make a great commercial for Toyota as these two vehichles are built tough!) The sites are incredible but we're really going to be out in the middle of nowhere--or everywhere. Maybe one of you will come visit me...we could backpack all over Belize!

I will find out exactly where I will be this Friday. I trust it will be where I'm most needed!

Pictured is our group of 'fearless 'community health volunteers! I'm sort of the odd-ball (for more reasons than one!) because all are young, recent college grads and then the one older married couple.

God bless us all, love, tracy

5 comments:

  1. God Bless you and all those that you are with! Your blog is an incredible inspiration. You are amazing! Love you and miss you, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thinking of you b/c my tooth has decided to act up again. This one's bad, so I think I have to make a trip to Dr.Smith. Thx to you I'm not letting him go with the root canal theory.
    I leave for my road trip next Friday and will be working on my backpacking skills in prep for my visit in 2011.
    Everything sounds great. Keep up the great work and stay healthy!
    Love,
    Katrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...

    Can't wait to find out where you'll be in Toledo. Definitely want to get out of "Sugar Cane Land" and visit you in the jungle. I'm hoping Annie and I can get down there while she's in Belize for Christmas Break.

    I'll think good thoughts for tomorrow.... a site with running water and electricity! If not, I have a ton of batteries to give you...

    Take care,

    Di

    San Jose Palmar
    Orange Walk District
    Belize

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--today's the day -- You find out your final destination in Belize, the vote for the 2016 Olympics is announced (hopefully Chicago), and I find out my partner for our 2nd team match.
    Somehow I'm more interested in your assignment than my partner. There is one RCI location 10 miles from Punta Gorda -- Cuxlin Ha Village. Let me know if that is close. Maybe I could send Carlene down for a visit! Love & Miss You... Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracy,
    Thinking of you as we gear up to play Jup Bay next week...we had a great win!!
    Hope you are feeling better and your Peace Corp diet has been jump started!!
    We all miss you and think of you often.You are amazing and an inspiration.
    Keep well.
    With lots of yummy hugs and smiles.
    Love, Lina

    ReplyDelete