Friday, September 25, 2009

One More Week





It’s been a tougher week—have a little touch of dysentery that’s lasted almost the entire week. I may be checked for parasites today—ugh! Also, I found a tarantula near my bed. My host mom killed it with my machete…oh well, the life of a peace corps volunteer!

It’s been a month now that I’ve lived with my host family. My family and our hut are considered well-off compared to most of the villagers and yet they have never seen a train, a plane, TV, a movie, any kitchen appliance, etc. Even though Raul can speak 4 languages and is very bright, he is illiterate. The children have no books, few toys and spend most of their time helping their mom who goes non-stop from 4:30 am to 8 pm. She washes the dishes bent over in the grass with 3 buckets (wash, rinse, dry). She does laundry everyday at the creek and carries heavy buckets of wet clothes back to the yard to hang on the line. She prepares three hot meals every day including hand made tortillas with each meal.

Despite this description, they are exceptionally happy. When Raul comes home from work, the three children SPRINT to him. The interaction between family members is fun to observe…they playfully ‘punch’ each other and then laugh. The kids are resilient and tough. When they get hurt, mom and dad just laugh so the child never cries too long. In school, the children receive ‘lashings’ for misconduct. Now when I walk to class, many children call out, “Hi, Miss Tracy”. Today the group of Standard 4 (six grade) came to my class to hug me one by one and thank me for the presentation I did yesterday on dental health to their class. Gratitude abounds.

Tomorrow the ten of us leave for a 4-day trip to our sites in Toledo (even though they keep the final selection a surprise!?!) I think I should be able to do one more blog before I actually get placed in the rain forest of Toledo. I love you all.

God bless us all… tracy

3 comments:

  1. Tracy- hope you are feeling better. I sent the package out on Monday the 21 to the address you left with me. I hope you are able to get it before you go to your next and final destination. There are some things in there for the kids. You are really hanging in we are so proud but miss you lots and lots. Take care Love Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your last few days of 'luxury' with your host family. My package didn't make it in the mail until Wednesday due to an overload at work, weak excuse I know.
    I hope Toledo is a pleasant surprise in comparison to your expectations.
    Take care of yourself and get healthy.
    Love,
    Katrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better. Are you able to get drugs?
    Love the pics. But those must be some tough tarantulas if it takes a machete to kill them. Perhaps they should take on the rats. Or is that the job of the "cat" in the cage? I know it's not a chicken.
    Your host family will soon be missing you like we do---sad. But we know you've done your best to help them make a better life.
    You should be receiving many packages, hopefully soon. We are all at the mercy of the US mail, etc. I believe Kim C.'s salary is covered this week...
    Please take care of yourself. And enjoy your "road trip" in the Yucatan--Carlene would be proud!
    Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete