Friday, September 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Dino!

Happy 50th Birthday honey! Wow!! Happy Birthday Craig, too! Soon is Betty and Katrin’s birthday too! I miss you all so much and wish you all the happiest of days and year!

This week has been a real integration week with my community. I find it interesting and refreshing to see a ‘neighborhood’ that is so diverse in culture and ethnicity to get along so wonderfully. Because most of the huts have no windows or doors people just naturally go visiting and all are so graciously welcomed. I’ve yet to encounter a toothbrush and even though my host family has a latrine, only the parents and I use it (the children still prefer the yard). There are several health issues right here in this village and the need for assistance is great and yet this is just our training site!! I’d love to stay here because there’s need but the Peace Corps has designated 9 other sites in Toledo as being much more in need of our help. Peace Corps only goes where it is asked and only addresses concerns that the village sees at ITS needs, not what we think it needs.

I really miss all of you but I feel I’m in the right place for me to have the greatest opportunity to help others. I lie in bed at night and my mind races with all kinds of ideas of ways I can be of service to these people. I hope you all will be honored that a lot of my plans revolve around my best resource—YOU!!! I’ve already called upon my team to donate a frying pan to my host mom. I’ve asked Dr. Gandhi to donate 50 toothbrushes and floss for a presentation I’m doing on Oral Health Care to the school here. ( Dentistry is non-existent here unless someone has a toothache and then they go to either Belmopan or Belize City to get an extraction.) It’s the tip of the iceberg but it’s how all great ideas start…inch by inch, row by row. Speaking of rows, I have decided to put in a vegetable garden at my host family’s house so if any of you could send me seeds (tomato, pepper, cucumber, squash, watermelon, broccoli, etc.) it would be most appreciated. They say they have never heard of broccoli so I’d love to get some seeds and try that. Don’t worry about sending too much, they will be used while I’m here I promise you! The diets here are so deficient in fruits and vegetables—could be the reason for so much illness and malnutrition. I told my family I would put in a garden if they promised to keep it up once I leave. They said they are excited about their new garden!

I can’t believe how much I value my friends and family back home. I feel like I’ve been living in a place of ungratefulness and wasn’t even aware. The things I took for granted amaze me. I’m sorry and I promise that when I see each of your faces, I will let you know how much I care.

God bless Ashley, Bobby, Nicole, Aubrey, Jeff, Dino, Duchess and Chunk and every one YOU! Love to all, Tracy

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy, Debbie gave me your blog site-- and this is absolutely amazing!! What a wonderful family you are with and what an experience for you. You will be blessed enormously!!! Keep writing, you are an excellent writer. You should consider a published book or diary of your experience. I will send you fruit vegetable seeds. I know you will recieve many but if there needed... The stores here stock fresh seeds every August. Well please keep writing, I'll read daily Miss you and take care, Love, Jackie---- hygienist( just in case you needed to know)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jackie, so great to hear from you and thanks so much for trying to find me some seeds. A padded envelope works best with less chance of being searched..keep it as small as possible as postage is sooo expensive. It is really nice to hear from peeps back home...I'm excited about the possibilities here and yet I miss home alot...mostly my puppy dogs!!! Believe it or not I think my knowledge of a little dentistry will come in handy with education in the villages. It's hard to believe that people are on this planet and it's like
    America in the 1700's. I can pass on a little tidbit every day.
    This weekend all the new volunteers are visiting volunteers that have been here a year. I'm in Orange Walk Town which is in the North so I took a 3 1/2 hour bus ride last night to Diane's house. She is in the education sector and is doing phenomenal work here. She has a little apartment on top of a little church but she has internet access and running water and electricity. I feel like I'm on vacation! Still have to go downstairs to use bathroom facilities but we have a TOILET!!! Wow, the things I took for granted!
    Anyways, great to hear from you! Thanks for writing me. Give my love to all. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,

    What's a mail address where seeds might be sent?

    Bob G

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love you soooo much Mom!!! You are my hero!
    Bobby, Nikki, Deez, Daph

    ReplyDelete
  5. The address is: Tracy Hodson, PCV
    Peace Corps Headquarters
    P.O. Box 492
    Belmopan, Belize
    Central America
    Thank you so much Dr. Bob! I really appreciate your help and interest. Have a great time in Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you so much too!! Please take care of yourself and be well! Hope you two can plan a trip here...that would be great. Give Deez and Daphne a big hug and kiss from me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Maria Hodson, the hills are indeed alive with the sound of laughter at Tracy's computer skills!!! Too funny! Who would have thunk that Tracy would be a computer guru?! YOU GO GIRL! YOU CAN DO IT ALL!!!!! JILL

    ReplyDelete