Thursday, November 12, 2009

Jupiter aligns with Mars!

Many nights I have laid in my thatched hut wondering exactly what my purpose here is supposed to be. I received a little taste. Let me tell you a story:

Monday morning, I get a text from my friend (PCV) Erica that there is a medical/dental team in Punta Gorda. They( group known as 'Healing the Children') were discouraged because they had flown here from the U.S. with pretty much a complete operating room setup to do cleft palate surgery but the liaison here had dropped the ball and they had no patients. I get the text from Erica as I am walking the 5 mile trek (hilly, gravel road) to my village of San Miguel. Finally ONE truck comes by and I flag him down for a lift. Turns out he has a son with a cleft palate. Anthony has the surgery the next day. I email all the other volunteers to see if anyone knows of others and that this group is willing to drive to pick them up or pay for their transportation. A volunteer near Belmopan knows of a 14 year old and he rides the bus down on Wednesday with Emily and has the surgery that afternoon. (Turns out the boy was 19--he wasn't sure)

In the meantime, I get to Punta Gorda Tuesday to meet the cosmetic surgeon, oral surgeon, and staff and convince them to come again and I will see that they have patients. One of the nurses was downstairs treating a child with an acute infection--simple antibiotics and tylenol. She asked me to do the translation to the mother as far as the medication goes and I was able. Amazing! The nurse also mentioned that this wasn't really within her auspice but she could see the 'need' (as I did) and I assured her that rules lose their grip when you cross borders. I have already seen children die from innocuous maladies. The child may have been lost had the nurse NOT intervened. It's enough to break ALL your hearts.

So there are a group of dentists coming to a nearby village in February and I volunteered to do the 'screenings' to give them a (very) rough idea of what will be needed.

So it's a start in the right direction...it's good to follow the signs sometimes!

God bless us all, tracy

6 comments:

  1. next thing you'll have a dentist office i n your house.thats cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I think your purpose is obvious and we are learning valuable lessons from you!

    Kerry (Murray Ct)

    ReplyDelete
  3. today is duchess' birthday!i gave her a hug & kiss from you this morning while we were having coffee on the porch.(i was having coffee, they were chasing rabbits) we miss you,
    remember

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great story - a God thing. Isn't it amazing how God works to bring people together.
    I pray for you and for the February clinic. Love, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would do anything to spend one day with my mom right now. I miss and love you so much!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings in Abundance. It is time to build New Jerusalem. The city of enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete