Saturday, March 6, 2010

Happy Birthday Sue Brown (from Mexico!)

Happy Birthday Sue! I called you yesterday from Belize City en route to meet Aubrey in Cozumel today but was just winging it and you questioned the wisdom of that!

Thursday, I took the bus from Punta Gorda up to Benque and stayed the night with Roger. That was a 6 1-2 hour bus ride. Friday morning (Sue´s birthday) I left Benque and traveled east to Belize City (bus was 4 hours). Waited half hour and got on another bus heading north through Orange Walk on to Corozol and supposedly, Chetemal (which is just inside of Mexico). Come to find out that if you reach the border after 5 pm you have to get off the bus and walk across, go through immigration, and then take a cab to Chetemal. (Oh yes, the bus ride from Belize City to Corozol was 3 hours). So I´m walking across the bridge and texting Ashley and get to the other side and no more cell service in Mexico. Take the cab to Chetemal...cabbie no habla ingles and I don´t speak much Spanish but we manage. Get to the bus terminal in Chetemal and wait 3 hours for a bus leaving at 1030 and arrives in Playa Del Carmen (on the mainland opposite Cozumel) at 230 am. Doesn´t seem to make sense to get a room so I am the ONLY person in the bus terminal at 230...it´s freezing in there and I have no warm clothes. I ask an attendant there if ...si es posible, puedo dormir alla? (If possible, can I sleep over there?) Si. He lets me lay down on the floor behind a partition where I cover my whole body with clothes from my bag and bury my head in them to generate some heat. So the next time you see a bag lady or other indigent, be kind...it could be your old friend!!! I must have dozed some because at 530, I hear, senorita, tiene que salir. (Maam, you have to leave). I walk 6 blocks down and 4 blocks over and get to the area where at 8am I can ride the water taxi over to Cozumel. That was a 45 minute boat ride. Finally arrive in Cozumel to find out that where the cruise ships are is a taxi ride away. Get to the port and realize that Aubrey never told me which boat she was on so I´m wondering now if I´ll be able to see her at all. Lucky for both of us, she has my innate sense of sensing gpa´s. I get off the taxi, walk maybe 29 yards and there she is. Thank God! And thank God, I love her so much cause now I´m back in Playa Del Carmen, waiting til 1235 am to ride the 4 hour ride to Chetemal and then catch the 6 am bus from Chetemal to Belize City. Then, 5 hours back to Punta Gorda. So this is from Playa del Carmen, exhausted, no reading glasses so I´ll apologize ahead of time for errors! I´m dead tired but Playa del Carmen is awesome. Actually, all of Mexico seems awesome after Belize...just feel out of touch with no service. And blessed to have seen my little girl.

Moral of this whole story is my insanity is now confirmed and Sue Brown is always right! Hope you had fun at Darlene´s and Happy, happy birthday!

God bless us all...tracy

3 comments:

  1. that sounded like a great adventure!glad you got to see aubrey, and happy birthday sue Brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was awestruck reading this and had to read it to my husband. Incredible! Thanks for sharing your adventure and I'm glad you found your daughter. What we won't do for a few minutes with our kids!! You are my hero. Hope you found your way home safe. Karla :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha good stuff!!! Glad to see you're keeping your healthy sense of humor. It's my parents' last day, so we're going for a bike ride (no 130 miles) and then to the beach. I know rough life back home! I'm supposed to go back to work next Thursday and although not ready at all to return I'm amazed how quickly a checking account can deteriorate.
    Spring training has started and we went to the Marlins vs. Mets game with your favorite Brits, Jill and Roy. We sat along the first base line, so between my mom's and Jill's baseball knowledge they spent the game fearing for their lives as balls came flying into the stands.
    Gotta go, but thanks for keeping us updated and take care of yourself.
    You're doing great!!
    Katrin

    ReplyDelete