Friday, February 26, 2010

GOOD LUCK JEFF!


Aubrey sent me a text on Saturday that said, “I miss you mom, it's baseball season, it's 2010 and I miss you”...

I felt so far away as I heard the Olympics were on and that the United States was faring well, especially for us in the WINTER Olympics! I'm so out of touch with what is happening in the world; just trust that someone will let me know if anything major occurs. Ashley keeps me updated on some political issues and Bobby is great with the sports...

But the boys of summer ARE back and that IS cause for celebration! In our family, it has been a good bit of the 'glue'. Some of you know that when Bob knew he was dying, the ONLY time he cried was when he looked over at Bobby playing beside the bed (Bobby was a little over 2 years old) and said “I'll never be able to teach him how to fish and play baseball”. At that moment, I knew that baseball (and fishing) would be a big part of our lives.

I loved baseball as a kid and some of my favorite childhood memories were going to the games with my dad. Time with dad was the best...and baseball sealed the deal. I lost some love for the game in 1971 when the Washington Senators left DC to become the Texas Rangers. I took it personally and took a hiatus from baseball for several years just to show them!

But later, living in South Florida when the children were little, was a great opportunity to introduce them to the game up close and personal. Most of you know what happened next with all the connections with baseball, most notably, David Justice. David had taken a personal interest in Bobby and treated him like a son. Some of you know that Bobby once did an interview with the Japanese version of ESPN posing as the son of a Major League Scout discussing the virtues of the Japanese work ethic in baseball! Or when he somehow found himself in the locker room over at Roger Dean with Mark McGuire and friends talking about fishing in the Everglades!

Bobby went on to have an illustrious high school baseball career playing centerfield with South Fork High School with ZERO fielding errors until one game in the State Championships. Bobby tried to play baseball his freshman year at the University of North Florida under Coach Dusty Rhodes but discovered that his smaller size was more than a bit of a detriment. But his love remained and his sisters that had no choice but to love the game were forever hooked.

Most of you know the Jeff Allison story...1st round draft pick of the Marlins in 2003 and then a skid with destiny that almost took his life. Jeff bravely has added another year of sobriety to his long list of accomplishments and is ready to start Spring Training, 2010. He feels good about the season, is physically and mentally ready, and thinks this could be the year. As you all know, I love Jeff like my second son. I'm counting on Katrin, Tara, Carol Pahl and Professor to head over to the park and show their support. Jeff has promised to fly me out of Belize and to whatever MLB park if he gets THE CALL to start in the bigs. That sound incredibly wonderful to me!!

The picture is my desk in my humble abode in San Miguel with my interesting wall decorations. Yes, baseball reminds me of so many happy times back home. It is the one constant in America...it reminds of us of all that was good in our childhoods. It bridges gaps, tears down walls, and links sons to their fathers they never knew.

So go to Roger Dean. Stand proud as you hear my good friend and neighbor, Cristina belt out the most beautiful rendition of our National Anthem. Put up your feet, down a beer, and root, root, root for the home team. And if they don't win, who cares? You are there enjoying your youth and everything that is good in your life.

Best of luck, Jeff. I'm behind you 100%. PLAY BALL!!

God bless us all!!

3 comments:

  1. made me cry momma... i love you! Baseball season wont be the same without you but I know you'll be there in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three things are certain in this life ... death, taxes and Tracy's love of baseball! It's nice to read your upbeat words. While its very tempting to tell you to forget the PC and come home for baseball and the dozens of other reasons I could list, only Tracy will know what's best and what's next.
    Do you want to hear some poker news? I thought so! Last night, your's truly took down the Bahama's toruney at O'Shea's. FINALLY! The new award is a cruise for two to the Bahama's on a new Poker Cruise. Betty and I are going March 19-22 on one that I won as a result of chopping the Bar Leader tourney 6 months ago. Now, thanks to last night, we will go again on the second one they have this coming fall.
    I assume you know that Dino won the big finals tournament in January. He won a seat at a WSOP $1,500 Hold 'Em tourney in Vegas. Betty and I are going with him in late May. We watched him at the final table. He played great!
    We only wish you were here to go with us on these trips.
    Princess is fine. I'm sure she misses her "Aunt" Tracy. Smokey is in pet heaven; he died a few months ago.
    Now, you have the news. We all miss you greatly and speak of you often. We pray that you are safe and take each day one at a time. Our loss has been a gain for the people of Belize. We can't wait to see you! Take care of yourself. Love, Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about bobby..."jose,can you see??" lot's of memories in that blog... how about..."bobby would'a had that"...the game will surely miss you this year...

    ReplyDelete