Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Who this Peace Corps experience is really for???

The driving force behind my decision to join the Peace Corps was one of a desire to do my small part to make this world a better place. I didn't really know how that would come about but I trusted that if I put myself 'out there', the powers of the universe would show me the way. So far, I feel like I'm still on the outside looking in and the path is hazy to say the least!?!

What have I learned so far? Belize is a very diverse country with a diverse people. The cultures vary as far as the spectrum can arc. The Mestizo's (Spanish) and the Garifuna (African slave refugees that ended up in Jamaica and then here) know how to party! Their life seems relatively uncomplicated, not terribly motivated, love music and dance and tend to inbibe repeatedly and incessantlly! In sharp constrast are the Mayans—whether Mopan or K'ekchi. Their life is arduous, purposeful, and somber. They tend to marry young and have large families. There are no toys, no recreation, music from the churches only, and no dance. Individually, I can sometimes see a glimpse of humor and/or levity but as a group they are ALL rote. The men work on their farms, not for a salary, but to feed their family. So all their food is straight from their farms and the surrounding land. This explains why, when I made them some chocolate chip cookies that they eyed the cookie curiously and reluctantly before they tried one, then two, then three!!! The women bust their butts to wash, cook, clean, and take care of the large family. The children learn these same practices at very early ages so they will be ready for adulthood by the time they're 14. The country as a whole is extremely impoverished. It appears to me that the more educated people have an idea of the world 'outside Belize' and greatly desire Belize to make strides with infrastructure advancement. But most seem oblivious to the outside world and would just as soon stay just as they are...it seems to me reminiscent of our American Indian! Therein lies the problem...no motivation to improve themselves. Sometimes I can see the advantages of staying just as they are...certainly within their dying Mayan culture. Can you imagine my challenge here? We don't help where we see 'issues' but where they want changes. And basically, they like it just the way it is!! So each individual day, I accomplish terribly difficult tasks like helping a mom hull her corn, teaching a child a new card game, or helping an elder walk up the hilly road... Hazy path, indeed!

I have learned that my life back home was easy and wasteful. If you could see how these people live you would thank God (or whoever you believe in) that you were born or live in our country. The ONLY problem is sometimes we don't know it until we live here totally engulfed in a entirely different culture and experience these adverse conditions. My hair is falling out by the handfuls (thank goodness I had lots to start with!), my skin is saggy from weight loss and dehydration, and I believe my eyes have lost their sparkle...(don't know for sure since it's been months since I've looked at a mirror). But if I left here tomorrow, my life has been made richer for the experience. I know I will live my remaining days on this planet in total gratitude. I am so thankful to my children and my friends for making life so enjoyable and my only regret is that I don't believe I've taken adequate time and energy to let you know how much I appreciate you. I hope you will forgive me.

Last week, while in Belmopan for our All Volunteer Conference, I had occasion to do two things that were REALLY important in my life before Peace Corps. I picked up a tennis racquet for the first time in 7 or 8 months and I played in a poker tournament. With borrowed tennis shoes and racquet, I hit against another volunteer at the American Embassy. I was terribly rusty and felt clutsy not to mention, hot and sweaty. But just to have the opportunity was a real treat. Then Saturday, Bobby had paid for a buy-in to a satellite poker tournament in Belize City for a $2500 buy-in in March. I was afraid that I might have forgotten how to play but it basically came back to me. Best hand I had all afternoon was pocket 8's and I misplayed that one badly. Thought I was ahead (and I was) until the river but couldn't get him to fold. I'm sure Bobby would have played just about every hand I had differently...ended up 16th out of 42 (not great) and certainly not good enough to win one of the six seats they gave away. What did strike me at the tournament was how careless everyone played. My Peace Corps mindset of no waste and deliberate and calculative spending does not blend homogeneously with the mentality of a poker game where a reckless lifestyle is an advantage. I hope to play tennis again but believe it's best to leave poker alone for now. But, thank you Bobby for your generosity that gave me that opportunity to learn that lesson.

I have been writing this blog in the community center of San Miguel waiting for some 'moms' to show up. There are a group of American dentists coming to the neighboring village of Columbia (only 3 miles away) on February 27 and 28. I have done two dental presentations in each of the classrooms, done a limited screening on all 183 students with a note sent home to the parents, succeeded in getting the teachers to have students brush their teeth at school after lunch, and put up flyers at all the 'shops' in the village asking parents to become involved with their child's dental health by coming today from 1-4 to discuss their individual child's status. The general state of dental health here is alarming and needs desperate attention. Again, my thoughts and not theirs! It's almost 4 and not one parent... such a HAZY PATH!!

I have learned lessons here and I attempt to pass them on to you... that's the only crystal clear path right now...the Belizean/Hodson path remains hazy!

God bless us all!

14 comments:

  1. you've done enough, come home and let your hair grow back, fill out the wrinkles. be with family and friends who apreciate you and want you home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound very unappreciated for all youve done and the hard work youve put in. if you want to come home because you will be happier, then listen to your heart. youve put in alot of months there and no one can take that away from you, ever. i know you and you dont want to "quit." however, in my opinion its not quitting if you did come home, as you aren't doing what you wanted to achieve there and for what you are doing, you are not appreciated. do you mom, do whatevers best for YOU. we all support and love you very much, any decision you make. love,
    bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have not posted a comment until today, I do read you blog, checking multiple times per week to see how Tracy is doing. Please know that we are all very proud of you and the sacrifices you made to try and help others. I can truly say I would not make that commitment. Since I've known you, you have always placed the well being of others ahead of you. Your decision to join the Peace Corps and the subsequent trip to Belize was the ultimate sacrifice; you have done more for mankind in 6 months than most people will do in a lifetime. That being said, you must realize that life is short, especially for those of us over 50. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Do you want to spend precious time with people who, by the sound of your messages, don't necesarily want help in changing what they've known for generations? Or should you be home with your friends and family, watching your children continue to develop into fine young adults? You seem to have gained much insight into how fortunate we are in America. There are many people in our own backyard who could use your assistance, providing you with the gratification of helping others while being able to enjoy your loved ones. I think you've done more than enough for others. It's time to think about Tracy. If its time to come home, COME HOME! You can't have the months and years that you will spend in Belize back. What will happen to these people when you leave? I'm sure they have been touched by your presence, but do they really want to change? I know you'll make the right decision; I only want what is best for you. Please take care of youreself. Love, Pete C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading those three comments in an internet lab in punta Gorda Town and crying my eyes out. My heart feels broken... Thank you all for caring. Don't know what to do but i'm praying for God's help and know He won't let me down. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eyes are filled with tears as I read this and I pray to God to guide you and to heal your heart. Come home to those who love you lots and miss you so much. It has been a great experience for you and I'm sure that you have left a lasting impression on those you have touched. But I question the wisdom of staying. I wish we could just talk. Love, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girlfriend, you are in my prayers. You know I, of all people, know the ambiguity that you are feeling. A real desire to sacrifice everything to help others and to not give up come hell or high water vs. the gut feeling that you may sacrifice your own sanity, health and relationships for a cause that may or may not benefit the people it is meant to help. I took a journal with me to Belize that has one of my favorite quotes on it. "Follow your heart, it knows the way". Follow yours. I wish I was there to give you a hug of encouragement. Like you said, God is with you so trust in that still small voice that will tell you what to do. It sounds like you have the most wonderful family and friends who care about you. What a blessing. Take care Tracy and know that we are all behind you whatever your decision. Love, Karla

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a lighter note, I can't wait to tell you about the worst "bad beat" I have ever experienced in my poker life; even you won't believe it! Please smile when you read this ... Love, Pete

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can't even get away from it here!!! when are we gonna stop hearing about this bad beat!???

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've read alot of blog's that talk about the peace corps doing so much for the underprivaledged of the world..... but if the people don't want to change,.....it's kinda like america putting their standards on the world.....what right does anyone have to make people change their culture?you've done your best, come home and be loved and appreciated by your friends and family while you can. you've honestly made a difference, now it's time to think about you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ran into Tara and Joann at the Delray tourney and they told me that you were struggling and questioning your purpose on this mission. We all know that I have been one of the stubborn ones telling you to keep pushing on and pursuing your 'dream' that you waited to live out for over forty years. I do believe that you're having much more of an impact than you might see and you will be sorely missed if you leave. However, you are the strongest woman I've ever met and if you feel that your labor of love is wasted, well the hopper is still full of tennis balls and we'll have you back in primo shape and toned and tan in no time!!!!
    You made your decision from the heart and God knows you have a huge one. Let your mind and heart work together on this next decision and know that you will have a huge welcome committee no matter when you return.
    Love,
    Katrin

    ReplyDelete
  11. The road of life is full of bumps, twists and turns--and sometimes a detour. No one knows what lies ahead. But, just in case, promise me you'll learn the word "uncle" in K'ekchi and keep a white towel handy. America loves chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love chocolate chip cookies and all of you! Didn't realize that this blog sounded like such a cry for help but as my friends, perhaps you know me better than I know myself. Seriously thinking of coming home but not certain as I hate to give up on this dream...does feel like I'm spinning my wheels. And yes, Karla you know all too well. Thanks for all your support and love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And Pete! The bad beat story DOES put a smile on my face! Can't wait to hear! I love you and Betty! How's Princess?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Tracy, you have done more here than you realize. We are all in that 6 month slump where the honeymoon is over, and we need to redefine our own expectations. When you brought those two blind kids up to the eye clinic-someone was showing them some attention and caring, and giving them hope. You may reach one mom who wants to care for her child's teeth. It isn't that they don't appreciate you, which is hard for people back home to realize. This is what culture shock is all about. You have brought some sunshine into the children's lives in San Miguel. If you see a glimpse of a smile on a child's face, that is so much more than they had before you came. Small small steps, but steps none the less. Keep in mind that no one wants you to be a martyr, and only you can make that decision.Your health and sanity need to always come first, and whatever you end up doing, we will support you and know you made the best decision for you. But remember that you are going through changes that your PCV friends can relate to, and those at home cannot. This was a dream you had for a long time. The dream may have changed, but it is still there. It is our expectations that need to be redefined. We are all trying to do this right now, and it isn't easy, but it is the only way we can survive here with any kind of contentment. We love you Tracy, and you have helped all of us through these tough times. But don't think you aren't making a difference, because I think you have done more than many of us. What we can do is not the big picture that we dreamed of when we arrived. That is what is so hard for us. But those small things that may seem to be unnoticed by many, are the things that let someone know you cared. That isn't a small thing! Make a list of every little thing you have done, and I think you will be surprised how long the list actually is. You may not have touched 100's, but I know you have touched one, and to that person, you made a difference. You are welcome here any time, as you know. We love you. Kathy

    ReplyDelete