Sunday, March 14, 2010

Thanks for your interest! You're the best!

FIVE of you sent me emails telling me about the recent article in the local paper back home and wanted to know more! Thank you so much for keeping abreast of the happenings here and wanting to share in this Peace Corps endeavor...

There is an organization in Belize (also in West Indies islands like Jamaica) called the Remote Caregivers Program. The RCP's mission is to provide the very young children (ages 8 mos to 3 yrs) in remote villages an opportunity for early learning. There are 4 RCP teachers in my village of San Miguel. They go to the homes where there are young children and teach colors, numbers, the alphabet...mostly through songs! I think the REAL benefit of their teaching is the familiarization with the English language. K'ekchi is spoken exclusively in these homes and yet when the children start pre-school, the lessons are taught in English. This introduction to the English language eases that transition from home to school for the 3-4 yr. olds. My host sister, Yadira, 2, was one of these students so I was able to witness the lessons first hand (twice a week). The stimulation was evident as Yadira was thriving!

About two months ago, one of the RCP teachers approached me and wanted to know if I could help them build a playground in San Miguel. The children have no place to play and recreation is a foreign concept (as are toys and games) I thought this was a great idea so we started with meetings to find out just what their 'vision' was and how we would finance this. (As you know, no one in the village gets a paycheck, it's all sustenance farming to provide food for their families...so funding from the inside is an impossibility) We have drawings in place and estimates of lumber and materials. This country seems so upside down to me as it is so poor and yet costs (like lumber) are so incredibly high...looks like just over $4000 BZ ($2000 US).

I applied for a 'Kids to Kids' grant and was successful ($500 US) That is what you read about in the newspaper. Now I'm working on a PCPP grant (Peace Corps Partnership Program) where anyone has the opportunity to read what Peace Corps is trying to do all over the world and can choose to donate if the spirit moves them to do so. Once I've applied, I will let you know and if anyone would like to contribute, they can do so privately online and the funds will go directly to the project. The only catch is...if we fall short of the projected amount, the funds go into a 'kitty' that is used for general projects and not OURS.

Thank you all for your interest. I will let you know when the PCPP application has been posted on the PC website. It's yummy food for my soul to know so many of you are sharing this Peace Corps experience with me. We are all volunteers trying to promote better world relations and peace.

God bless us all...tracy

9 comments:

  1. Wait one more day before you decide to quit. Then wait one more day. You can always easily go home the next day. Getting back to where you are now, though, that will be tuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tracy, let us know as soon as you apply. i'm sure we can get more than enough donations and whats left over can go to the kitty.i read what you wrote on my wall,i think you got the devil part right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. something about the first comment didn't sit right with me and i had to read it a couple times before i got it. you aren't a quitter tracy.if this isn't working for you, then you can move on to something else. we know you put everything into this and tried harder than anyone to make it work. there's no shame in moving on. it's not quitting, it's moving on to something better. you did get the devil part right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracy, I sent you a big envelope of seeds---did you get them? I knew when I sent them that it would be a crap shoot on whether or not they actually reached you. I sent them to the address you gave in Punta Gorda.
    I volunteer for this organization called Project Cure and they send medical teams to different countries. They are coming to Belize. I got all excited thinking I would come but they wanted a donation of $2000 plus you had to pay for your expenses--another $3500. And this was for ONE WEEK!! I think of the blood, sweat and tears that you have to pay for the Peace Corps experience--and for 27 months! I admire you greatly for having stayed this long.
    Much love and positive thoughts your way!! Karla :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thqnks for the explanation, although I'm still curious how the article made it to the Jupiter Courier. And in regards to your earlier blog on meeting up with Aubrey, I have to say that you seem to have found a way to get around Belize (& Mexico) like you were rollerblading in Abacoa! I'm sending you a book (yes, I said a book) that I think you might enjoy. It's not too big, so I hope the payment at your end won't break your bank account. Love & miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read the article, but I will look for it once I get reacclimated at work (if that's possible). Did you by chance get a big box of T-shirts in the mail? Hoping it didn't get swiped. Let us know if we can send sth in addition to money once the playground gets going, i.e. soccer ball
    Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy-I've just caught up on your blog and it seems like you are doing well. I'm sure it is hard when you see so many things that would make their lives better, but they don't ask. BIG cultural gap! You are such a good writer. I hope you are keeping a diary to publish later. Seems the kids are doing ok even in your absence. Spring training seems like a sell out. Hope Jeff gets on the roster. Love ya & miss you. Be well and do good. Love, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the positive comments...it is such a joy to hear from so many of you. Thank you! The seeds arrived from Karla and the t-shirts from Katrin and I have sent you both emails discussing the mail. Now, i have to pay duty on the value of the package and the postage...almost makes it ridiculous to even try although I so appreciate the efforts.. Guess what? Just last week received Christmas cards from Sue Beale and Dino! Timely...?? Heard from Bobby that Jeff had a great outing yesterday. Keep it up, Jeff! Sue, Kids to Kids grant takes it upon themselves to contact local paper where PCV lives in the States... Guess that answers most of the questions above...love to you all...tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tracy ... I just stuck some "phone call money" in your bank account ... not much, just $50 ... hope it helps a little to get more talk time with your kids. Love you girlfriend, Jill K.

    ReplyDelete