Saturday, January 29, 2011

Shadae!


As I made my 7 1/2 hour trek last weekend to visit Roger in Benque, I had to change buses in Belmopan. The James Bus Line that runs between Punta Gorda and Belize City always carries a load but there is usually a seat for everyone. But the bus lines that run from Belmopan to Benque are ALWAYS crowded. Everyone pushes and shoves jockeying for position to try to secure themselves a seat.

So I arrive in Belmopan and get in line for the next 'Benque' bus. I was feeling fairly confident that I would make it on as I was only the fourth or fifth person in line. The bus arrives and some passengers get off in Belmopan and I make my way to the door of the bus. It's just a part of life with the pushing and shoving. A year ago, I would let everyone go ahead of me. Not today! If I didn't make this bus, I would be late for a dinner engagement with Roger and a customs officer that we had befriended. So without being overly physical, I forged ahead and only let about 15 get in front of me.

I get on the bus and quickly see that all the seats are taken. Shucks! I'm feeling pretty dejected as this was the ONE time that I minded being shut out! (They let people stand in the aisle of the bus but only after it has left from the terminal). I'm sure the disappointment showed on my face as I dejectedly turned around and headed toward the door. Then I hear, "Miss! Miss!" I turn around and see this young Garifuna girl had climbed on her mother's lap to make room for me. She said, "Come here and sit"...

This young girl's name is Shadae. Shadae is only 8 years old...has two older sisters and an older brother. There is no dad as mom tells me that he was killed 7 years ago in a boating accident right off the shore of Belize City (hadn't I heard??) where he was 'chopped up' by the prop of the boat after he had fallen in the water. The mom (Alma) and Shadae were about as pleasant and upbeat as two people could be. Mom commutes all the way from San Ignacio to Belize City (3 hour bus ride each way) everyday but Sunday to run her business. She sells used clothing, shoes, anything... We talk, share stories, but mostly I'm just loving Shadae. Shadae tells me how she is doing in school (great!) and what she has learned that day... very animated. Mom has seen to it that all four children have remained in school...the oldest boy is to graduate from high school this year. I know we take graduating from high school as a minor achievement back home but here...it is HUGE!! (My village of San Miguel BOASTS of THREE graduates last year!! It's a big deal!!)

So you know me...I instantly think of all the clothing that we 'toss' back home in the States...stuff we don't even bother to take to Goodwill... So, I would like you to consider saving discarded and old (but clean) clothes and I will pay for postage and we will start helping this widow and her four children!! (No one would WANT my clothes right now ...you would all laugh if you saw me this very minute!) But I'm thinking of Aubrey, Cristina, Joann, Lina, Betty, ANY of you that might have something no longer useful or you're tired of!! What a nice (and EASY) way to help this family?? When I get back, I will happily pick up your stuff twice a year and mail to Alma (and Shadae)!!

Many of you have written at various times asking what you can do to help me better serve? I have GOT to have the nicest bunch of friends on the planet!! I feel like you have ALL been doing Peace Corps service right alongside of me. I certainly couldn't have managed this without your love and support. And here is another fairly simple way that WE can make a difference in this lovely family's life.

A little girl makes room for a stranger and now we can help her family... 'pay it forward' for sure...

God bless us all...love, tracy

8 comments:

  1. P.S. The picture is Shadae on that bus sitting in between her mom and me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what a great idea. I have lost 20lbs and would love to donate my clothes.Tracy I can't tell you how much I love reading your blog. You make me smile and cry all at the same time when you write about your experiences. Selfish me can not wait for you to get back but I do feel sorry for the people you are leaving since you seem to make such a difference in so many peoples life. Love you Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutly! I need to purge and this has inspired me! I love these stories! I can send them sooner...just tell me where!

    When are you coming home? Can't wait to sit on Murray Ct with a cocktail and hear all of your wonderful stories!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have checked for comments several times on this blog and was starting to feel sorry for myself that nobody cared anymore...just a little pity party on this lonesome friday night...but THEN! I looked this evening and there you were...2 such sweet comments from such wonderful and kindhearted friends. Thanks, I really needed that! And Betty, where did you have 20 pounds to lose from? Your thick hair?? My goodness...
    Love you both, tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cocktail on Murray Ct. sounds like heaven right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracy! What a cool idea!! Any idea what sizes? Please don't think you are forgotten! I think about you all the time and marvel at the experiences you've had. You continue to be my hero! I must say I will be glad when you are state-side again. :0) Keep on keepin' on my friend. XO Karla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any size, any gender, any color, just no stains...you are too sweet.

    You know when you first do ANYTHING, everyone is there because of the newness, the novelty...but it's 'old hat' now and it's human nature for interest to wane once the novelty wears off...so it's great to get the pep talk...really appreciate it. P.S. This playground is going to be really cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no doubt--it sounds awesome!! Something that will serve the kids for a long time and what could be better than that! Sounds like the perfect recipe to lighten their serious lives a bit. Hang in there and keep smiling!!

    ReplyDelete