Friday, July 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Brother, SKIP!!!

Happy Birthday to my big brother, Skip!! Most of you haven't met either of my brothers as they don't live too close to South Florida but I'd like to share a bit about my brother...

When I was in a body cast as an infant, my brother, Skip was the one to carry me around, play with his little sister, and drag her around in his wagon. This is in contrast to my brother, Bruce who when I was propped up against a wall would sneak when he thought no one was watching and tip me over so I landed face first on the floor (hence, my turned-up nose). I have no recollection of this time as it was from one month old to a little over two years old. My parents had filled me in on the kind of brother Skip and Bruce were. Skip was six when I was born...

About 26 years ago, Skip had a 'freak' accident while cleaning his sailboat (out of the water) when the mast hit a power line and nearly ended his life. The doctors didn't expect him to live and thought that if he did, he would be severely brain damaged. Three months in the burn unit at Jackson Memorial, skin grafts, and minus one leg, he came out of the experience spiritually stronger and perhaps, mentally stronger too. (Brother Bruce and I thought the electricity 'supercharged' those dormant brain cells!!) He has been an inspiration to us all and has also helped numerous limb amputees regain their zest for life.

He has been a loving father to his three beautiful daughters, Christi, Karri, and Alissa.

He even tried to be a father to my three after Bob died but that didn't go over so well. But now that everyone is grown up, my three children have such a new appreciation for their Uncle Skip. When I recently went home, he treated us all to dinner when we were in Jacksonville and the kids had a blast with him and thoroughly enjoyed his company. He is always quite humorous to say the least...

And I would not be here serving in the Peace Corps were it not for my brother Skip's help and support.

He is more of a dinosaur on the computer than I am...is that possible?!? So he probably won't read this but I sure hope my nieces fill him in...

Just let him know how much I appreciate him and how much I love him. Happy Birthday, Skipper!

God bless us all...tracy

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Uncle Skip!! You have done so much for my mother and family over the years. We are so appreciative and love you very much. Your nephew,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete