Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lots of Little Updates











My host mom made a dress for me like all the women wear in the village. It certainly was an 'icebreaker' for the shy Mayan ladies. Even THEY were quick to tell me how much they liked me in my new dress!

Last week was the swearing in of the new volunteers. I thought our group was cohesive and enthusiastic but this new group of 36 is amazing! Zack delivered an inspiring speech that elevated me right out of my seat. He made me excited about getting back to my village of San Miguel. (Pictured is Jane and myself after swearing in--she is a new volunteer that Kerry from Murray Ct. knows!!)

I'm almost finished with the inventory of books in the principal's office...

Today I helped another neighbor build his 'new' latrine. That is ALWAYS a job. One of my goals here is to see that every village home has their own latrine. I believe there are 3 or 4 more to go...

I have been working on my garden and planting many of the seeds you have sent. (By the way, your seeds have found their way all over this little country in village and school gardens--thank you, thank you!) It's rainy season so I'm not sure how successful I'll be this time of year. When it rains, it's a deluge and often the seeds get washed away. I'm not giving up though. The men in San Miguel have their farms that they ride to every morning--usually about 3-5 miles out of the village. There, they grow predominantly corn and beans. No one in the village (except me)has a garden. I am trying to generate interest by working in my garden. Passerbys have inquired as to what I'm trying to grow, etc. There is 'food security' in San Miguel as no one goes hungry. But the diet lacks variance and balance. Every meal is either chicken, eggs, or fish with rice and beans and tortillas. Fruits are eaten only when in season and growing on one's property. Otherewise, there aren't fruits and vegetables unless you can afford to go into Punta Gorda on market days and buy from the vendors. I'm hoping my garden will 'open doors' for discussion on nutrition and healthier diets and maybe gardens of their own! No Einstein needed here to see that diet plays a HUGE role in Belize with the high incidence of high bllod pressure, diabetes, and premature death.

The PCPP grant proposal is still in Peace Corps Belize's office. Most of you know about the playground that we want to build here in San Miguel. After the proposal gets approved here, it will be sent to the main office in Washington, DC. At that point, I'll write more concerning the project as many of you have indicated interest in helping out...thank you so much.

They are anticipating a busy hurricane season--sure you all know that better than I do. I am one of the 'wardens' for the group of volunteers in Toledo. Wardens make sure PCV's get the message to evacuate and consolidate in the event of a storm. The problem is that in most of Toledo, PCV's have no cell phone service, no village 'community phone', and infrequent bus service. I have visions of mounting my neighbor's horse (pictured) and playing Paul Revere. Should be interesting...

Last picture is a new cat that has found his way into my house (along with the chickens, rooster, rabbits, and Blackie. I have put my foot down when the pigs try to come through!!) Word must be out in the animal community that the white lady has food...

All is well...God bless us all...love, tracy

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture of you and Jane-I hardly recognized either of you!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics. Keep them coming. Thanks for the update. Do you need more seeds? Silly question really, I'll just send some in the next few weeks. It's World Cup time. As you know JoJo and I had to cancel the trip, but today we'll be watching the big US vs England match.
    I'm still swamped at work and I don't think it will let up over the next three months, but I need to start planning my trip. What are some good dates for you and what airport should I hit? Definitely want to see San Miguel, meet Roger and maybe go on some 'jungle' adventures.
    Take care of yourself,
    Katrin

    ReplyDelete