Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An 'Ideal' Celebration!!









Friday, March 4 had me up at the crack of dawn with shovel in hand and four eager helpers doing last minute 'grading', raking and burning leaves and dead wood... general site preparation.

Roger was up before the crack of dawn (4 am) making his way to Pine Lumber in Georgeville to hop the truck with two men and bring the enormous load of lumber the 5 hour trip to San Miguel.

They arrived shortly after noon and were hungry so I took the whole group to the Pops (my old 'host family') where my mom and sister had prepared the traditional rice and beans with chicken lunch for the 8 of us. Delicious!

We walked the short path back to the playground site and started unloading the lumber and some pre-assembled pieces. After the bulk was unloaded for the playground site, we all piled in the truck and made our way up to the top of the hill where the school is situated. Aubrey's friends at the VA hospital in Gainesville had raised money as their Christmas project to fund a swingset in San Miguel by the preschool and infant I and infant II classrooms.

I would be hard-pressed to think of anything that could have been more rewarding and exciting than what happened next... (well, maybe the birth of a grandchild??!!?) As the huge flat bed truck made its way up the hill, the children that are normally so perfectly behaved and disciplined could not help themselves. They ran to the doors waving and cheering seeing all this stuff being delivered for THEM!! The children were yelling, 'Miss Tracy, Miss Tracy!' These kids were beside themselves with excitement.

The toughest part was when the school day was over and they oh, so wanted to start playing but had to wait til completion.

March 5! Up before dawn and over to the park and school to finish up. The kids waited patiently while I had my crew in high gear working to the rhythm of the children's anticipation. Both children and volunteers were ear to ear smiles as the last bolt was fastened. Then Miss Tracy said, “ok, you can play!”

I think you can see for yourselves in the pictures I've included the wonder of it all...and none of this was possible without all my Peace Corps Volunteers back home...YOU! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

The children of San Miguel are waving to you, saying Tojo kre! (Thank you in K'ekchi)

God bless us all...love, tracy

P.S. March 5 happens to be my closest friend on the planet's birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUE BROWN!!! We celebrated YOUR day in a BIG WAY!! All the children were given one FREE 'ideal' which is a flavored ice pop making it a grand, 'ideal' celebration!!


6 comments:

  1. And if you would like to read more about 'opening day', go to Roger's blog at commonsense.typepad.com ...love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Tracy and her crew! The smiles of these children say it all. Although we couldn't be there to assist in the construction, those of us who donated monies feel a part of this. Best money ever donated! God bless you Tracy; a bigger heart no one has. Pete and Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Tracy!! I can hear the childrens laughter from here! What a wonderful, lasting gift from a most awesome PCV! Congrats. Love, Karla :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea...So AWESOME! Those smiles are priceless!

    I have a pile of clothes/shoes for Shadae-where shoudl I send them

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone...great to hear your enthusiasm...I can feel it. And thanks Kerry about the clothes...hold off a bit cuz I may come for a visit in April and could bring them back ... and it would be a lot cheaper for you then trying to mail...postage is outrageous as many of you have found out!! :( Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome Tracy! I am glad it is finally completed! :) I am happy for you

    ReplyDelete