Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Merry Christmas to YOU!

It's uncharacteristically cold for Belize. I slept in a sweatshirt, pants and socks and under two blankets last night. It has rained a lot these last few days as the temperatures plummeted. I'd say a forty degree drop is substantial especially since these last four months have been so incredibly HOT... It must be VERY cold back home.

With Christmas only three days away, I am imagining what you all have been going through...the preparation, the shopping, the traffic, the crowded stores and malls and the PRESSURE we feel to buy more than what we should. I know...I did it every year since Ashley was born over 29 years ago...And once Bob was gone, I tried to double up and make up for the fact that there was no dad...

As you might imagine, this year is very different...few lights, no Christmas trees, no shopping, and little music. But the gifts I've received have been so heartfelt and meaningful...

Since coming to Belize, I've reconnected (via email) with a friend from junior high school. David was afflicted with polio (born a few months before the vaccine was discovered in 1953). David and I were great friends--I remember visiting him many afternoons after school while he was recovering from back surgery and in a full body cast lying in a horizontal supine position for months on end. When he graduated with us from Bowie High School in 1971, there was a standing ovation and not a dry eye in the auditorium. David wasn't expected to live to see graduation. Many years have passed and I assumed he was gone and was glad that we all lost touch so I didn't have to hear about it. But David is alive and making a difference in other handicapped peoples' lives. He had a stroke 10 years ago and has been in a nursing facility but still has that HUGE heart to try to help others. He even remembers me talking about the Peace Corps WAY back in high school! What a gift for me to find David again!

Another gift has been that YOU have been actively participating in my Peace Corps adventure. Your caring about me has kept me going when times were trying or when I was feeling alone. As I told Cynthia, you are all Peace Corps volunteers. Thank you so much.

I have been blessed by hearing from my wonderful nieces...beautiful notes, encouraging words, and touching sentiments. I'm grateful for this opportunity to discover their depth and beauty.

I received an incredible package from Ashley, Bobby, Nicole, and Aubrey. They replaced the camera that had been broken and added a myriad of other niceties and necessities. But the best part was Ashley's phone call where she could hardly contain her excitement about being able (after 22 years of school) to buy presents. It was crystal clear that she was experiencing the true joy of giving.

My children are all going to try to get here at least once over the 27 month period. Last night as I slept in my sweatshirt and blankets, I also cuddled around my darling, Aubrey and we shivered together and laughed. WHAT A GIFT!!!

These are my moments of Christmas, 2009. This Peace Corps life is beautifully simple. No glitz, no parties, no presents. The only gift I have for you is this simple advice...seek out what is important in life and the treasure it.

For me, it is the knowledge that many years ago, a little baby boy was born in a manger. Allelujah!!!! And having you as my family and friends!

God DOES bless us all...tracy

11 comments:

  1. hope you and aubrey are having fun! merry Christmas and happy new year!!!it's cold here too!!!
    dino

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Christmas Eve and I'm here with my lovely daughter, Aubrey and want to wish all of you the Merriest of Christmases!
    My host family absolutely loved watching the Sound of Music on Saturday night. They really didn't know how to respond to all the gifts that you all so generously lavished on them but I KNOW that they really loved all the goodies. Then we watched Finding Nemo!...lots of giggles! Thanks especially to Sue Brown, Sue Beale, Carolyn, Joann, Debbie, Terri, Lina, Cynthia, and Kim. You all brought a lot of joy to Belize at Christmas. I miss you all and especially Ashley, Bobby, Nicole, and Jeff. Thank God I have Aubrey to make this Christmas Eve wonderful. I love you so much. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!!! I left you a message on your cell yesterday, but I think it may have been deleted b/c I went on and on about nothing for too long.
    Great to see that Aubrey made it safely. I have a christmas package that didn't make it out, but will be sure to send it after the new year! Sorry for the lack of support recently, but it's been crazy trying to finish this house up by the end of January and unfortunately it really did have to take priority.
    Think about you all the time.
    Lots of hugs and kisses,
    Katrin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sun has set on another Christmas Day here in the states. Thought about how different your day must have been from ours--far away in another land. Different, but in a good way. I'm so glad to hear that the family enjoyed our gifts. Your blogs are an inspiration to us all--keep them coming. Our love and holiday wishes...Sue & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays Tracy! A friend of mine has joined the Peace Corps and she arrives March 23 in Belize! She will live in Belmopan for the first 3 months. Her name is Jane House and I have no idea if you will meet her but if/when you do, you will love her. What a small world!!!

    Love from Murray Ct...Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracy, I just had to write and wish you Merry Christmas. I'm so glad you had company for Christmas--what a cool experience to share. I love reading your blog and am enjoying living vicariously through you. Your experiences sound amazing. I read Sandy's blog too and she is shivering also. Who would have guessed that the weather would get that cool after being so humid and hot. Sandy says the hot season will start in February so I guess some cool days are good thing. As for me, I am working again. Back to the job I love working with those who are nearing the end of their lives. I learn so much from them. I just wanted to wish you a very happy Christmas season and many blessings throughout the New Year!! I'm sure you will have a year full of adventure and challenge. Take care of yourself and write if you have time. Love, Karla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Friends!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! This is the first time back to the computer so happy to hear from you! I hope you have a beautiful new year.
    Katrin, I know how busy you are so you never need to apologize...I can't imagine how incredibly difficult it must be to oversee the construction of one of those 'mansions' in Palm Beach. NEVER APOLOGIZE...you are in my thoughts constantly and I always marvel at how many German people I seem to 'find'...it's no coincidence! In fact, I ran into that adorable German girl that had been robbed...saw her on the bus in a town two hours away from where we met. It really is a small country! I love you my friend.
    Sue, whenever I'm feeling blue, I think of you and suddenly there's the smile back on my face. Thanks for all the wonderful suppport. I feel your love across the sea...hope you feel mine...?!?
    Kerry, of course I will meet her and now I'll especially be on the lookout. We run into the other volunteers all the time. It is a small world. Thanks for keeping me up on the Murray Court scoop! You and Cristina have been blessings! When I get back I want to go have a beer with you. Promise?
    Karla, I'm so glad you are keeping in touch. You were my closest connection here so it especially hurt to lose you but I know it is my loss and so many peoples' gain. You are such a dear soul so I know you are doing so much good and what an incredible gift to your patients in their eleventh hour. You will not be forgotten here...I think of you often.
    Dino, I know this has been difficult and I'm sorry. You have always been very dear, a Clydesdale when it comes to helping, and a loyal and true friend. I wish you nothing but peace and love...hope you have a wonderful 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tracy -I just caught up on your blogs - I love to read them. You have interesting life events to share and you are a great writer. How great that Aubrey spent Christmas with you - and kept you warm. What a thrill for Ash to be able to buy presents with her own money. yeah!
    All is well with me and mine. We were all together for holiday including the kid's father, my ex, who now lives in Prosperity Oaks. I really miss our weekly talks. You are a special frined. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tracy,
    Kim from Dr. Nicholson's and doggie store.
    I have just read all your blogs, sorry to catch on so late :( I think I need some of that simpler life. Wow what an admirable thing you are doing! I would love it except bummer about the lack of well, everything that makes life comfortable :). I'm sure having Aubrey there for Christmas was the best, hope all is well. I will check in from time to time. I am amazed at the lack of fruits and veggies. I figured that would be in abundance or at least growing wildly, no fertile ground? Maybe we should send you some vit. C. Actually I have an account for the store from a huge supplement company. If you feel you need any supplements for you or others tell me which ones. Richie says hi and we are enjoying your blogs.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are checking back for a new blog from you. Another little view of your life in Belize. We are having our shower retiled, and right now it looks a bit like yours. So many things remind me of you. I read the latest coffee.mill and have to ask if you are baking the cakes to feed the doggies -- which do they prefer--cheesecake or carrot? Ooooh, my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sit here and read in awe...I'm humbled! Miss you so much and I'm sure these people feel as blessed to have you as all of your special friends back home have felt through the years. Love you and can't wait for your return home! terri

    ReplyDelete